Updated: Oct 2012
Looking to build your own top bar hive?
If you’re a new beek, consider reviewing this pragmatic comparison of TBH vs. Langstroth hives. And if you’re ready to build, here are some designs:
Standardized Top Bar Hive (TBH):
I recommend using a standardized TBH design for innumerable reasons, including the ability to share resources between your hives and with others in your community. Here are my favorite plans by longtime Albuquerque beekeeper and retired engineer, TJ Carr, and John Bradford.
- Free! Design for Standardized Top Bar Hives (PDF)
- Notes to accompany the Standardized TBH design (PDF)
Other TBH Plans:
- BioBees has published an ebook with photos on building your own TBH.
Or, do you prefer to buy one?
- Backyardhive.com sells beautiful top bar hives with a side window that are just perfect for beginning backyard beekeepers.
- Hirschbach Apiaries sells TBHs as well.