One way I like to bolster a hive throughout the season is to combine it with a small swarm or other weak hive. It’s the lazy girl’s guide to solving common problems like uniting a queenless hive with a queenright hive or combining a couple small swarms into one strong colony.
Newspaper Method of Combining Bees
- Take a small hive and remove the hive cover and inner cover.
- Place a piece or two of newspaper atop the frames in the top box. Cut a slit or two in the paper (optional).
- On top of this, add a box with your new colony or swarm.
- Close ‘er up and wait a couple days.
- OPTIONAL: Sometimes I leave a top entrance for the top box. Othertimes I don’t. Depends on the strength of that hive and how hot temperatures are projected to be.